Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Resetting User Password

Hi,
I've created a user which is attached to a database. This
user exists only in SQL 2000. (no NT login in domain or
on the local box).
This user owns this database and i can't remember the
password. Therefore i'm unable to connect to it through
another computer using the ODBC connection.
I've looked everywhere to see where i can reset the
password. But i can't find it. I'm guessin that using the
T-SQL command prompt stuff is my best bet. But i've also
had problems with this SQL box and i can't connect to it.
Please let me know if there's anyway i can reset the
password. I've tried creating another user and giving it
full access to the db. As a custom application runs ontop
of the SQL database it needs specific permissions which
are builtin to that user
ThanksA sysadmin or a security admin will need to reset the
password using sp_password, e.g.
EXEC sp_password NULL, 'NewPassword', 'SQLLogin'
Use NULL for the old password argument to bypass the
checking of the old password.
You can find more information in books online under
sp_password.
-Sue
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:34:26 -0700, "Jeremy Pond"
<jpond@.railcu.org.au> wrote:

>Hi,
>I've created a user which is attached to a database. This
>user exists only in SQL 2000. (no NT login in domain or
>on the local box).
>This user owns this database and i can't remember the
>password. Therefore i'm unable to connect to it through
>another computer using the ODBC connection.
>I've looked everywhere to see where i can reset the
>password. But i can't find it. I'm guessin that using the
>T-SQL command prompt stuff is my best bet. But i've also
>had problems with this SQL box and i can't connect to it.
>Please let me know if there's anyway i can reset the
>password. I've tried creating another user and giving it
>full access to the db. As a custom application runs ontop
>of the SQL database it needs specific permissions which
>are builtin to that user
>Thanks|||Hi Jeremy,

> This user owns this database and i can't remember the
> password. Therefore i'm unable to connect to it through
> another computer using the ODBC connection.
> I've looked everywhere to see where i can reset the
> password. But i can't find it. I'm guessin that using the
> T-SQL command prompt stuff is my best bet. But i've also
> had problems with this SQL box and i can't connect to it.
> Please let me know if there's anyway i can reset the
> password. I've tried creating another user and giving it
> full access to the db. As a custom application runs ontop
> of the SQL database it needs specific permissions which
> are builtin to that user
Can you stop the MSSQL server on the user's machine? Then you can copy the
database files and attach to another MSSQL Server engine without any
problems, you don't need any password to attach these files. Next, if you
can detach the database from the user's machine and then attach again, you
probably get all passwords disabled...) If you can't detach, then stop the
server, move the original database files and start again, you probably will
be able to kill the dissappeared database from the database list and attach
a new one using your files.
I have got my head broken trying to find a method to protect the MSSQL
database and couldn't and gave up. All newsgroups were keeping the silence
how to increase the security of the database about 15 months ago. I found
finally Sybase ASA and it allows me to keep a higher security of the
database, especially if these files are encrypted. If you were using Sybase
with encryption you should pray to open these files or reset the password, I
suspect that it's impossible, but MSSQL Server allows to walk through the
database without any password if you have a physical access to the server
and can stop the server for a while. That was the main reason why we refused
using the MSSQL server on our client's remote machines. It's not safe. Maybe
a new version... We're still hoping... And we're still using MSSQL Server
for our consolidated database..
Thanks,
D.|||Hi,
In addition to my previous message about detach/attach:
http://www.databasejournal.com/feat...cle.php/1438491
Thanks|||hey,
thanks for the reply, can't try it now during office
hours. But will certainly give it a go. It never occured
to me to do that. But i've now built a spare SQL box to
do that with.
That is an excellent solution. Very very smart. Good
work
you're a champion
thank yousql

No comments:

Post a Comment