Friday, March 30, 2012

Resolving

Hello!

I am having trouble connection to my SQL 2000 SP4 using TCP IP.

I can only connect specifying the port number in for instance query analyzer. What do I need to do to get it connecting without port number? Do I unblock the resolution protocol UDP 1434 in my firewall?

Carl
Norway

What is error message. If the error is something close to ""Error Locating Server/Instance Specified", you need to enable the sql browser and make sure the udp port 1434 is not blocked by the firewall.

The following link have plenty of the content on troubleshooting connectivity issues.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/10/22/483684.aspx

cheers,

|||

Thanks!

But that was concerning SQL2005. My server is 2000 SP4.

But UDP in the firewall is the only possible thing? Because I can connect spesifying the port.

Carl

|||You need connectivity to sqlbrowser in order to resolve the port number for each instance. It applies to both 2000 and 2005.|||

How can I identify the Browser Service?

I have two servers running. One where everything works fine, and this newly installed one where port resolution does not work.

As of now I can not see any difference in the configuration.

No comments:

Post a Comment