Wednesday, March 28, 2012

resolve login problem after moving db

I'm moving databases from one server to another server.
Then I use the method in microsoft article 246133, to transfer logins.
1. If I use transfer logins dts task, it creates orphaned users. but default
database goes to the right one.
2. If I use the script that make use of the sp: sp_help_revlogin
It seems work OK, no orphaned users. But I found the default database all
goes to
master, instead of other databases as in the old server.
Then I need to reset the default database manually one by one.
Is that the way the scrip works? It seems it solves one problem but have
another?
Any solutions
ThanksYou need to run sp_help_revlogin AFTER you add the databases. Otherwise, it
defaults to what's available.
"Ann" <Ann@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:435B1BBE-E32B-4320-BAE7-9EF764044CC4@.microsoft.com...
> I'm moving databases from one server to another server.
> Then I use the method in microsoft article 246133, to transfer logins.
> 1. If I use transfer logins dts task, it creates orphaned users. but
default
> database goes to the right one.
> 2. If I use the script that make use of the sp: sp_help_revlogin
> It seems work OK, no orphaned users. But I found the default database all
> goes to
> master, instead of other databases as in the old server.
> Then I need to reset the default database manually one by one.
> Is that the way the scrip works? It seems it solves one problem but have
> another?
> Any solutions
> Thanks|||Thank you. But that's exactly what I did. The databases were all there first.
Then I ran the output of sp_help_revlogin generated script.
I also take a look at the script, there is nothing indicating default
database.
It just create logins with the original sid and password.
Any further help?
Thanks
"Derrick Leggett" wrote:
> You need to run sp_help_revlogin AFTER you add the databases. Otherwise, it
> defaults to what's available.
>
> "Ann" <Ann@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:435B1BBE-E32B-4320-BAE7-9EF764044CC4@.microsoft.com...
> > I'm moving databases from one server to another server.
> >
> > Then I use the method in microsoft article 246133, to transfer logins.
> > 1. If I use transfer logins dts task, it creates orphaned users. but
> default
> > database goes to the right one.
> > 2. If I use the script that make use of the sp: sp_help_revlogin
> > It seems work OK, no orphaned users. But I found the default database all
> > goes to
> > master, instead of other databases as in the old server.
> > Then I need to reset the default database manually one by one.
> > Is that the way the scrip works? It seems it solves one problem but have
> > another?
> >
> > Any solutions
> > Thanks
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment